The U.S. Sustainability Alliance (USSA) is committed to safeguarding your privacy. Contact us at if you have any questions or problems regarding the use of your Personal Data and we will gladly assist you.
We understand that you are aware of and care about your own personal privacy interests, and we take that seriously. This Privacy Notice describes the USSA’s policies and practices regarding its collection and use of your personal data, and sets forth your privacy rights. We recognize that information privacy is an ongoing responsibility, and so we will from time to time update this Privacy Notice as we undertake new personal data practices or adopt new privacy policies.
Transferring personal data from the EU to the US
The USSA has its headquarters in the United States. Information we collect from you will be processed in the United States. The United States has not sought nor received a finding of “adequacy” from the European Union under Article 45 of the GDPR. The USSA relies on derogations for specific situations as set forth in Article 49 of the GDPR. In particular, the USSA collects and transfers to the U.S. personal data only: with your consent; to perform a contract with you; or to fulfill a compelling legitimate interest of the USSA in a manner that does not outweigh your rights and freedoms. The USSA endeavors to apply suitable safeguards to protect the privacy and security of your personal data and to use it only consistent with your relationship with the USSA and the practices described in this Privacy Notice. The USSA also minimizes the risk to your rights and freedoms by not collecting or storing sensitive information about you.
Table of Contents
- Definitions used in this Policy
- Data protection principles we follow
- What rights do you have regarding your Personal Data
- What Personal Data we gather about you
- How we use your Personal Data
- Who else has access to your Personal Data
- How we secure your data
- Information about cookies
- Contact information
Personal Data – any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person.
Processing – any operation or set of operations which is performed on Personal Data or on sets of Personal Data.
Data subject – a natural person whose Personal Data is being Processed.
Child – a natural person under 16 years of age.
We/us (either capitalized or not) – USSA (U.S. Sustainability Alliance)
Data Protection Principles
We promise to follow the following data protection principles:
- Processing is lawful, fair, transparent. Our Processing activities have lawful grounds. We always consider your rights before Processing Personal Data. We will provide you information regarding Processing upon request.
- Processing is limited to the purpose. Our Processing activities fit the purpose for which Personal Data was gathered.
- Processing is done with minimal data. We only gather and Process the minimal amount of Personal Data required for any purpose.
- Processing is limited with a time period. We will not store your personal data for longer than needed.
- We will do our best to ensure the accuracy of data.
- We will do our best to ensure the integrity and confidentiality of data.
Data Subject’s Rights
The Data Subject has the following rights:
- Right to information – meaning you have to right to know whether your Personal Data is being processed; what data is gathered, from where it is obtained and why and by whom it is processed.
- Right to access – meaning you have the right to access the data collected from/about you. This includes your right to request and obtain a copy of your Personal Data gathered.
- Right to rectification – meaning you have the right to request rectification or erasure of your Personal Data that is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Right to erasure – meaning in certain circumstances you can request for your Personal Data to be erased from our records.
- Right to restrict processing – meaning where certain conditions apply, you have the right to restrict the Processing of your Personal Data.
- Right to object to processing – meaning in certain cases you have the right to object to Processing of your Personal Data, for example in the case of direct marketing.
- Right to object to automated Processing – meaning you have the right to object to automated Processing, including profiling; and not to be subject to a decision based solely on automated Processing. This right you can exercise whenever there is an outcome of the profiling that produces legal effects concerning or significantly affecting you.
- Right to data portability – you have the right to obtain your Personal Data in a machine-readable format or if it is feasible, as a direct transfer from one Processor to another.
- Right to lodge a complaint – in the event that we refuse your request under the Rights of Access, we will provide you with a reason as to why. If you are not satisfied with the way your request has been handled please contact us.
- Right for the help of supervisory authority – meaning you have the right for the help of a supervisory authority and the right for other legal remedies such as claiming damages.
- Right to withdraw consent – you have the right to withdraw any given consent for Processing of your Personal Data, using our Privacy Tools.
Data We Gather
Information you have provided us with
This might be your e-mail address, name, billing address, home address etc – mainly information that is necessary for delivering you a service or to enhance your customer experience with us. We save the information you provide us with in order for you to comment or perform other activities on the website. This information includes, for example, your name and e-mail address.
How We Use Your Personal Data
We use your Personal Data in order to:
- provide our service to you. This includes, for example, registering your account; providing you with other services that you have requested; communicating with you in relation to those services; communicating and interacting with you; and notifying you of changes to any services.
- enhance your website visitor/user experience;
- fulfill an obligation under law or contract
We use your Personal Data on legitimate grounds and/or with your Consent.
On the grounds of entering into a contract or fulfilling contractual obligations, we Process your Personal Data for the following purposes:
- to identify you;
- to provide you or offer you a service
On the ground of legitimate interest, we Process your Personal Data for the following purposes:
- to administer and analyze our client base in order to improve the quality, variety, and availability of services offered/provided;
- to conduct questionnaires concerning website user/visitor satisfaction
With your consent we Process your Personal Data for the following purposes:
- to send you newsletters and service offers (from us and/or our carefully selected partners);
- for other purposes we have asked your consent for
We Process your Personal Data in order to fulfill obligations rising from law and/or use your Personal Data for options provided by law. We reserve the right to anonymize Personal Data gathered and to use any such data. We will use data outside the scope of this Policy only when it is anonymized. We save information gathered about you for as long as needed for obligations deriving from law, but not longer than necessary. To access and view data collected about you, or to delete user data, please use our Privacy Tools.
We might process your Personal Data for additional purposes that are not mentioned here, but are compatible with the original purpose for which the data was gathered. To do this, we will ensure that:
- the link between purposes, context, and nature of Personal Data is suitable for further Processing;
- the further Processing would not harm your interests and
- there would be appropriate safeguards for Processing.
We will inform you of any further Processing and purposes.
Who Else Can Access Your Personal Data
We do not share your Personal Data with strangers. Personal Data about you is in some cases provided to our trusted partners in order to either make providing the service to you possible or to enhance your website visitor/user experience. We share your data with:
Our processing partners:
Our business partners:
Connected third parties:
We only work with Processing partners who are able to ensure adequate level of protection to your Personal Data. We disclose your Personal Data to third parties or public officials when we are legally obliged to do so. We might disclose your Personal Data to third parties if you have consented to it or if there are other legal grounds for it.
How we secure your data
We do our best to keep your Personal Data safe. We use safe protocols for communication and transferring data (such as HTTPS). We use anonymizing and pseudonymizing where suitable. We monitor our systems for possible vulnerabilities and attacks.
Even though we try our best we cannot guarantee the security of information. However, we promise to notify suitable authorities of data breaches. We will also notify you if there is a threat to your rights or interests. We will do everything we reasonably can to prevent security breaches and to assist authorities should any breaches occur.
If you have an account with us, note that you have to keep your username and password secret.
We do not intend to collect or knowingly collect information from children. We do not target children with our services.
Cookies and Other Technologies
Use our convenient Contact Us form.
Last modification was made June 12, 2018.
This website is designed primarily as an informational resource. Permission to reprint information in whole or in part contained on this website is granted, provided customary credit is given.
Third party websites
We may from time to time, recommend and link to the websites of partner networks or organizations, to and from the websites of third parties and to and from links to any social media platforms. If you follow a link to any of these websites or social media platforms, please note that these websites and social media platforms should have their own privacy policies, which will govern their use of the information that you provide to them and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. It is your responsibility to check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites or social media platforms.
Although we will make reasonable efforts to ensure that information contained on our website is as accurate and up-to-date as possible we do not make any representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that information on our website or accessible from it is accurate, complete or up-to-date and on this basis, we accept no liability for any inaccuracy on our website, nor for any loss or damage caused by inaccurate information. If you discover any inaccurate information on our website please let us know, and we will try to correct it as soon as possible.
We have no control over and assume no responsibility for the content of websites linked to from our website; these links are provided for your information only. Such links should not be interpreted as an endorsement by us of those linked websites and we will not be liable for any loss or damage that may arise from your use of them.